Friday, August 14, 2015

Morgana In the Smoke

So, here I am, chasing my dream and wandering in my head. I've left behind the mindset that was given to me "Your talents can be better used elsewhere. Art isn't a career. You haven't been to school, you're not going to be good enough to compete."

Thanks, for those doubts. For 13 years I doubted myself. And then one day my magical little girl came home and told me she had been told the SAME lines. And I sat her down and told her that she would not be allowed to let anyone stifle her, not in MY house! We had a long talk about passion, and love for what you do, and the jealousy of people who can't create beautiful things. And I went in my room later and felt like a liar. An utter and complete hypocrite. How dare I tell her those things, and not pursue what made ME happy?
The one constant dream I had since I was a small girl was to be an artist of some sort. That was even when I wanted to play Quarterback for the Broncos, or be a professional Daredevil.

 Artist. That's all, and always. So, I picked up a pencil and started drawing. It wasn't simple. I stared at that pencil, and that paper for about a week. What if I couldn't, anymore? What if I really never was any good?  Finally, I sucked up my fear and just did the thing. I drew a leaf. And it was ok. And then the next day, I put color in that leaf. And it was better.

 And since then, everything I do is better than the last thing I did. I'm now making sacred tools. Mandalas. Thinking I might be onto something more than just taking "nice pictures" with my camera. Creating incense. Because, see, I was always interested in doing all the things. I still am. And I'm loving the ride I'm taking here.

And oh, yes. I'm writing some too.
So, here I am. Hi.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Intro post! I'm so excited to be here at the beginning of your journey. Congratulations on conquering your nay-saying mind and going after your dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to quieting that bitch inside who is always criticizing. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete